Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Why kill a baby animal?

After dinner we decided to take a walk. As we approached the High School there were two girls standing on the sidewalk throwing rocks at something in the grass.
It was a baby robin. As soon as I realized what they were doing I started protesting.
"Don't hurt that bird!"
The one girl stop but was laughing nervously. The other girl, barely glanced up at us and continued on with what she was doing.
Bruce got angry pretty quickly and told them to get out of here.
They didn't. And the one girl still wanted to throw rocks at the bird. While we were standing there. While our girls were there.
There was a lot of yelling and the situation was maddening. The same girl picked up another rock and that was when I pulled out my phone to call the non emergency number. Not because I wanted to call the police but because nothing was working and now (after threatening to hurt us physically) she was picking up another rock.
This worked and they went away.
But Bruce and I were shaken.
I want answers. I want to know why they would do this, but more importantly how our mere presence did not make them stop. Why was this something they didn't have guilt about?
Was race an issue? Could we have approached the situation differently with better results? So frustrating.
In other news, today is our wedding anniversary. 3 years! And Evey is 3 months today!
Last night, Bruce and I started roughly planning out our stay-cation (the girls are spending two nights with my folks! Evey's first sleep over!) and I am so excited. I have been pumping for about 2 and a half weeks and have over 100 ounces! I am feeling like I am running out of time as the school year looms closer and closer. And it is filled with a mixture of worry and excitement.
Can always count on change around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment